INTRODUCTION TO IWN PROGRAMS
IWN is managed and funded by the water industry and the model is the only type of its kind in Australia. It is considered a unique example of industry led collaboration.
IWN is committed to delivering value and supporting its members to explore solutions that:
- maximise existing infrastructure life
- minimise customer disruption, and
- optimise expenditure.
The need to better understand asset condition and network performance, while minimising customer interruption has lead to a strong focus on technology trials. IWN programs are aimed at offering new technologies and better ways of operating.
IWN programs include:
- Flagship Program
- Asset Management and Optimisation Program
- Leak Detection, Condition Assessment and Infiltration Program
- Collaboration and Knowledge Sharing Program
- Remote Technologies Program
- Energy Optimisation and Power Program
- Biosolids and Resource Recovery Program
IWN undertakes a four stage ‘gated’ approach which progressively increases understanding and mitigates stakeholder risks by providing outcomes, deliverables and approval prior to progressing to a further stage.
- Stage 1 – Feasibility study. (Complete).
- Stage 2 – Investigation of key areas (customer needs and values, network efficiency, information management, business case, governance and environmental scan). (Complete).
- Stage 3 – Proof-of-concept/proof-of-principle trials (confirming the technology can deliver business needs). Business case developed and approved prior to trials.
- Stage 4 – Pilot projects and industry roll out on a broader scale.
As new priorities for the water sector emerge or new technologies are identified IWN will continue to cycle through Stages 3 and 4 to ensure they are thoroughly investigated.